Tuesday, August 10, 2010

classic, meet modern.

This past weekend my sister and favorite brother-in-law came to visit us in Lubbock. In true Thames family style we stayed up until 4:00 am on Friday night just catching up, shelling peas, and well... hanging out. The next morning the boys went down to the ranch to work and have some male bonding time, while us ladies went to my Aunt Debby's pool and caught some sun! I took my computer and worked on some design elevations on CAD for her new courtyard & landscaping. Afterward my mom, Ginger, & I headed to the ranch. I somehow talked Ginger (who is normally very impatient with my creative impulses) into bringing her bridesmaid's dress from my wedding to the ranch for an impromptu portrait session. It was the perfect day, a little work- a little play- and a little work mixed with play!

We got to the ranch as a huge thunderstorm started blowing in. The clouds were amazing, only the kind you see here in Texas. Pinks, purples, dark blues, yum! I hustled Ginger, who normally operates at one speed (and one speed only) and got her into the dress, hair & makeup before it rained! I had envisioned images of Ralph Lauren models posed on horses mixed among cattle for our ranch session. However, with the storm and purple clouds came the thunder. Ginger being an experienced rider, refused to get on a semi-trained ranch horse in a tight formal gown amongst all the chaos.

We made due with what we had, and caught some amazing images. Anyone who knows Ginger knows this side of her comes around once in a blue moon, so you can imagine my excitement for a shoot with this beautiful of a subject and location! It was such a blast. It just doesn't get any better than family.

Hope you enjoy the images. I have had the most amazing time with my new venture in photography and have so much more I can't wait to share with you guys!

Total Scarlett O'Hara right?!?



As glamorous as these photos may appear, Ginger and I fought over who got to wear the "snake boots". She the subject elegantly posing in the delicate grass... or me the sweaty photographer crawling around through mesquite trees and knee high grass! She won.

Hope you enjoy the photos, keep checking back for more! Oh, and sign up to follow our blog if you like what you see!


2 comments:

  1. Since I just got back from a blogging conference, and learned about the importance of commenting and creating a community, I wanted to leave the first comment.

    These pictures are absolutely gorgeous, and I love your posts. Gaaah you are so creative - I could see this blog getting HUGE.

    I'm so happy that you have found a new creative outlet (that you rock at!). I miss all of you and want to can't wait to hang out soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Self employment is going to suit you well Miss Heather :)

    ReplyDelete