Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Round Up at the Ranch



So Ryan and I had planned to go on a spring break trip last weekend but changed our itinerary as soon as we heard it was round up at my dad's ranch. In the Thames family, this is big. The entire family gets together (with authentic cowboys of course) to round up cattle, pick guitars, drink beer, and most importantly eat lots of good home cooking. This year's round up would obviously be no different.... We headed to the ranch on Friday afternoon to meet up with everyone. My sister, Ginger, and brother, Sage, got there late, so Friday night was really just the calm before the storm.

Saturday arrived with a bitter wind-chill and icy frost, so luckily my dad moved round up to Sunday morning for us wimps. The Thames family, always ready to make lemonade out of lemons, decided to spend Saturday doing leisurely activities.

These activities include, but are not limited to:

waking up and eating a huge brunch, drinking a beer after breakfast, driving around to look for hogs, going back to the ranch house to play an early game of power hour (parents and grandmother included)


sibling push up challenge

more "games" by fire pit

picking guitars

Sage & Chris sharing a moment on the swing set

dancing & tequila for the men

eating, watching movies, and FINALLY sleeping :)

Our day of leisure was great, but the 6:00 am Sunday morning 'cattle call' sure was sobering. After a stout coffee and two Advil, I was able to appreciate the beautiful morning that it was. I've always loved the ranch but more than anything I respect the incredible determination my dad has to keep the place going.

He is such a Marlboro man!!

This year was particularly fun because we had so many people to help out! Everyone had their station and some of us would hop in to brand, vaccinate, or castrate as needed (and no, I did NOT castrate for those who were wondering. Branding and vaccinating are as far as I go!)

Branding

sorry boys, castrating

everyone who helped with the cows

the kitchen crew

Ginger and my Emma bear



My boss gave me a great camera for my birthday (A Canon Rebel that is so nice I don't even know what all the buttons do yet!!) I barely know how to use it but am planning on taking a class to figure it out!! I have a new found interest in photography and would love to maybe one day get into it. Here are some fun shots I snapped during the weekend that I had a chance to doctor in Photoshop.

my brother, Sage, getting ready for round up

Cowboy Colton (aka the cutest ring barer ever!)

Ryno

cow feeder

THE cowboy himself.

good 'ole west texas sunset

The T Lazy T Ranch

There's just nothing like food fun & family!!


1 comment:

  1. AHHH!!! How fun is this, you are just like the Pioneer Woman! And I agree, nothing like food and fun families!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete